Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bahia de los Angeles!

I'm posting this from what appears to be a toy store in Bay of LA. The connection is super slow so I can't write much, or post photos. We arrived a couple hours ago. The wind is whipping! Am I surprised? It's been blowing the whole way down here. We stayed last night near Catavinya, an area of huge granite boulders not unlike Joshua Tree National Monument except that there are cardons and boojums and other odd species of cacti endemic to Baja. We threw the bags on the ground, after sandwiches, beer, and biscotti with chocolate-covered raisins. The light at sunset was magnificent, glowing for a long time first in the western sky and then in the eastern sky. This morning, we got coffee from the hotel (the one where we stayed last year). The waiter had to ask all the other employees in the hotel for pesos to make change for my 100 peso bill.

The drive from there to here was a cinch, though most of the road allowed us to go only 35 mph because of the all the patched potholes. The road from the turn-off to Bay of LA was the best piece of road we've seen. Smooth sailing! And the geology. OMG! If I were looking for a PhD project, I'd have found it. I think I am seeing the 12 million year old tuff I mapped in my own thesis field area well to the north of here. Joann (my thesis advisor) saw this tuff out on Isla Angel de la Guarda, which we can see from our camp. The original deposit was torn apart and separated along various faults when the Gulf began rifting not long after the tuff was deposited. Tim asked if I could pick up a piece of it and know it was the same tuff. No, not with any degree of confidence. But the relationships look right. Maybe next year we'll rent a house here and I can map to my heart's content. Pete? Want to rent a house with us?

So Valdesca has made it to the sea! We aren't going to launch today as the anchorage would be dodgy with all this wind blowing straight into the bay. Tim doesn't relish doing Sea Hunt just yet.

1 comment:

daddyjack said...

Glad you made it to Bahia de Smell-A just fine! I love that area around Catavinya too, have often spent the night there for some reason. Maybe you need to take some oriented samples of that tuff! Bring 'em to Austin and we'll see run em through the pmag lab! Have fun and if you rent a house there next year we'll come visit FER SHER!