Thursday, February 25, 2010

You're makin' me dizzy

We're in a whirl of getting ready for another leg. Peter arrives tomorrow. I have the permits to camp on the islands in the Loreto Marine Park. Our clothes are clean. The wind has backed off. And I'll do the shopping in a little while. We realized a few days back, when the VHF radio's battery needed a charge, that I had forgotten the charger. Oops. That's kinda key. It's our only means of making a mayday call, should such a need arise. We turned the car and boat inside out looking for it. It turned up at home. Think of that. I had about 1000 details to organize and I managed to forget the one thing that was going to save us from being marooned on a desert island. Our housesitter, Lee (bless his heart), is taking the train to Albuquerque today to bring the charger to Peter, who will bring it down here. Gotta love it.

Last night I got us take-out from "Gran Pollo." Translated that's "Big Chicken." They have all these barbecued chicken places down here. You get chicken, corn tortillas, french fries, salsa, and salad for incredibly cheap. And it's awesome, even cold, as we ate it last night after I drove all the way back to San Bruno. I got us the makings for spicy drinks too. I got back to our beach in the dark and there was Tim sitting next to a nice little Indian fire. When I was at Gran Pollo waiting for my order, I heard the rooster crowing out back. I kid you not. Right at the turn-off to San Bruno (leaving Mexico Highway 1 for a bumpy road down an arroyo), there is a military checkpoint I keep having to pass through, in both directions. They think I am kind of a hoot, a gringa who actually speaks Spanish. That's a novelty. Last night when they stopped me and checked the car (for drugs), I told them they could look in the car as long as they didn't eat our dinner. The car reeked of Gran Pollo. Along the 4-mile stretch of arroyo out to San Bruno, in the dark, I saw two bunnies, one hawk, a fox, two bunches of startled cows, and 5 burros. The other day, when Tim walked out to the highway, he said he freaked out the cows and they took off running, bouncing off the fences that border the road. Only a few more trips on the San Bruno road and we're outta here.

1 comment:

daddyjack said...

Hey y'all! That is sounding soooo dang nice. I thought I'd get some kinda email message when you post new stuff, but I don't and so I got a bit behind lately with work craziness and all, so now I'm catching up and it's fun reading fer sher. Hey regarding that paleo-seaway to the Pacific you mentioned for the northern gulf, I was noting a while back that biologists keep referencing my paper on marine sediments near Santa Rosalia, and found that they are very interested in this supposed seaway because they think it isolated southern Baja from northern and caused some species to evolve independently. But that would imply rifting in the south too, otherwise the southern peninsula would have been connected to the mainland. I believe I saw those sediments at San Ignacio a while back... Anyway, it's an interesting topic so I hope you solve the mystery while you are out there! Think about it over more of those Tecates!!

Take care -
The Holtster