Monday, January 4, 2010

Getting ready to go

I am a PhD geologist and my husband Tim is a painter. I have had cancer three times in the last five years. Recently, I got a clean bill of health and decided it was time for an adventure. When I was doing my PhD thesis field work in Baja CA, I wanted to kayak the length of the peninsula, but I had to write my thesis first. Fifteen years later, it's time. But we are going to sail instead of paddle because Tim couldn't imagine three months sitting in a sea kayak. Our boat is a 21 ft sailboat with oars and a small auxiliary outboard motor. It is an open boat--no cabin. We will be sailing in the Sea of Cortez in January thru March. We are going to start in Mulege and sail south to Cabo. Then we'll trailer the boat back north to San Felipe and sail south to Mulege. We are doing it in two parts, rather than sailing from San Felipe to Cabo, because I have to go while the gettin' is good. And I know from my field work down there that in January in the northern Gulf it can blow like stink. So we'll start farther south and do the northern Gulf later. When I was 20 yrs old, I sailed and rowed from Maine to Florida with six friends on a 30 ft open boat. It took us three months. Tim and I are going alone on this trip. Friends will meet us along the way and do some sailing with us. We are waiting on a new propeller, and then we'll get started.

No comments: